Monday 15 December 2014

A Guide to Primark Mascaras

The 5 Primark mascaras
As far as I am aware, Primark sell 5 mascaras (plus occasionally a waterproof version of the Volumising Ultra Black).  I wondered how they differed in brush and formula so thought I'd give them all a go.  It wasn't too frivolous seeing at they 5 came to a grand total of £9.50.

I must say that I'm probably not the best person so road-test mascaras as I do have naturally great eye lashes.  They are long and have no problem holding a curl, plus it's very rare that they ever transfer down on me after the initial application and clean up.

Also, I should have taken photos of the mascaras without eyeshadow etc on but that would mean removing my makeup at least twice in a day and I have sensitive eyes so didn't want to do that.  So, sorry but you have to see past the rest of the makeup.
I'll start with my least favourite of the Primark mascaras.  This is the Volumising one (black tube) and set me back a whole £1.  It has a brush wand which I always prefer to plastic but this one is very small and I don't find it volumising at all.  The photo below shows me wearing 4 coats of the mascara but this is how most look after 1 coat.  My lashes didn't get crispy feeling though so that's a plus.  Because the wand is so small it is good for doing the lower lashes.

Primark Volumising Mascara
Primark Volumising Mascara

Next up is the Volumising Ultra Black mascara (pink tube), £2.  The wand reminds me of the Maybelline Rocket mascara; its a similar size and shape but the pointy bits are slightly longer.  I could build it up without it going clumpy.  It might have lengthened my lashes slightly, it's hard to tell.  It did feel quite soft but this is the only one that flaked slightly throughout the day.

Primark Volumising Ultra Black mascara
Primark Volumising Ultra Black mascara

This is the Lift and Curl mascara (dark purple tube), £2.  It is a plastic wand with short spikes on the bottom and a rounded section on top.  I honestly don't think that my lashes were any more curled than usual (I did use an eyelash curler before applying all of the mascaras, as usual).  The curl did hold throughout the day. It built volume, though not a great deal, without clumping and again the lashes felt soft rather than crispy.

Primark Lift and Curl mascara
Primark Lift and Curl mascara

 This is Primark's Lash Defining mascara (light purple tube), £2, and is my second least favourite. The wand is a plastic one with three sections to it.  It looked defined with the first coat but clumpy with the second so no good for building up volume.  It didn't lengthen my lashes but held curl and again felt soft.

Primark Lash Defining mascara
Primark Lash Defining mascara
I saved the best until last.  I love their False Lash Effect mascara (gold tube), £2.50.  It has a nice big bristled wand which is my favourite type.  I could apply coat after coat without it clumping and all my lashes still look defined.  It makes my lashes look ever-so-slightly longer and holds a curl well.  No transferring or flaking and lashes feel soft. I will definitely keep using this mascara.

Primark False Lash Effect mascara
Primark False Lash Effect mascara
If you're after a purse-friendly mascara then look no further! 3 of these mascaras are winners I think, and I can get use out of one of the others for my bottom lashes, so that's a rather good result!  I'm not sure if they are available in all Primarks but our big one in Cardiff had all 5 last time I checked, a week ago.  They don't sell online but it's worth checking in-store regularly as stock changes frequently.

Have you tried any of these?  Or are you running out the door to get one right now?

Rachel

Find me here: 

No comments:

Post a Comment