Saturday 13 December 2014

Blue Lips


If Instagram ruled the world there would be blue lipstick everywhere!  While blue lips aren't exactly on trend in the real world, makeup fanatics are all over them at the moment.  Whether you want to create some cool (get it?) lip art or are brave enough to rock them out in public, here is my guide to blue lip products.  Why do I have so many?  I'm not really sure, but the last photo proves at least that they are all very different colours.
With all bright or unusal colours, exfoliating and priming your lips is essential. I normally scrub my lips with a toothbrush or use a Lush scrub and I like OCC Lip Tar in Clear to prime.

To ease you in gently, here is Fyrinnae's Lip Lustre in Ultra Phantom, $7. It gives a sheer wash of icy opalescence which I particularly like over dark lipsticks. 

Fyrinnae Ultra Phantom
 This is Illamasqua Intense Gloss in Gender, £16.50.  This swatch is without lipliner but I would normally pair it with a liner, Illamasqua Debonair or OCC Pool Boy usually.  They describe it as a 'bright sky blue' but I would say there is a smidgen of green in there and so it definitely leans turquoise.  It is a little bit sticky feeling and very long lasting.

Illamasqua Gender
 Next up in Kat Von D's Studded Kiss lipstick in Poe, $21. It's a metallic navy.  It is quite a dry formula and is long-lasting. No liner used here but I would use Urban Decay 24/7 eyeliner in Ultraviolet or Binge usually. 

Kat Von D Poe
 This is Melt Cosmetics DGAF, $19.  This photo is a bit misleading, instead of the burple shown it is definitely more of a royal blue.  This was one application without liner but it can be built up to be completely opaque.  It is a matte lipstick and lasts all day.

Melt DGAF
 Now OCC's Lip Tar in Pool Boy, £12, is what I'd call a sky blue, a very milky blue.  Again I would pair it with Debonair or Pool Boy to line.  The Pool Boy liner is slightly darker than it's Lip Tar counterpart.  This colour is quite difficult to wear by itself as it's not particularly flattering and does settle into lines a bit.  Looks great as an ombre lip.

OCC Pool Boy
 OCC Lip Tar in RX is a medium blue with no milkiness at all. It comes out fairly sheer but with blotting in between you can really build it up,  Because it's not truly opaque it's great for mixing, especially to make a red or pink more cool.

OCC RX

Last but by no means least, we have OCC Lip Tar inTechnopagan which has taken the online makeup community by storm. It was released with the Unknown Pleasures collection this August which is meant to reflect Autumn runway trends. A metallic blue with a purple base, it is really stunning and surprisingly flattering.  It's very opaque, long-wearing and makes teeth look really white.

OCC Technopagan
Here's a photo of them all so you can see that all of these blues are very different in colour and texture...and so obviously needed to be in my collection.

L-R: Fyrinnae Ultra Phantom, Illamasqua Gender, Kat Von D Poe, Melt DGAF, OCC Pool Boy, RX and Technopagan

Are there any blue lip products that are noticeably different to these and that I should try?  
I know there's OCC Lip Tar in Vain which is a deep indigo but I thought I could probably make that with RX and Tarred. 
Have you/would you join in with the online trend?

Rachel

Find me here: 

No comments:

Post a Comment