Sunday 28 September 2014

10 Dark Lip Colours for Autumn


I love this time of the year. While I tend to wear whatever makeup I want all year round, darker lips always do feel more appropriate at this time of the year. I wanted to show you 5 of my favourite lipsticks for Autumn/Fall but I couldn't narrow it down that far, oops.  So here you have 10 of my favourite.  There's a range of prices here and although they all fall into the berry family some are more pink, red or purple.
I haven't used a lip liner with any of these swatches so that you can see the colour untainted.  I would advice a lip liner though for a neater edge, or a clear liner round the edges to prevent bleeding.  I did use a lip brush with all of these.

Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain in Crush
This Revlon Balm Stain in Crush is really easy to wear.  It's not too dark and is really moisturising and pepperminty.  I really like it for layering under darker glosses, it's amazing with Illamasqua's Boost.  £7.99

Topshop Lip Cream in Lotus Flower
This is Topshop's Lip Cream in Lotus Flower. I probably shouldn't include this as it is no longer available although a similar product is their Lip Varnish or Lip Paints.  This swatch doesn't do the product justice; in person it's looks more purple with a fuchsia metallic sheen.  I tend to get compliments when I wear this.  It's beautiful over a darker lipstick. The initial finish lasts about 2-3 hours on me and then leaves a deep pink stain. I think it was £8 or £9.  I have seen it on Ebay a few times so worth checking out.

Collection Gothic Glam in 3 Revenge
 This gem was part of Collection's Gothic Glam collection last a/w.  I don't think it can be found in stores any more but I just found it here on amazon.  Revenge is a dark red.  It has a satin finish and lasts about 4 hours on me. £2.99

Maybelline The Elixir in Caviar Couture
 Maybelline's Elxirs have just launched in the UK, months and months after their US release.  I was impatient and bought a few on Ebay a while back.  Caviar Couture didn't make it to the UK unfortunately but can be bought here.  It's a dark purpley red with a bit of shimmer.  It doesn't feel sticky and lasts about 2 hours. £6.99
Sleek Mulberry
 This was one of my favourite colours last winter.  Sleek's Mulberry is a blackened purple with a satin finish.  As you can see it can be a bit streaky so I would recommend a lip liner used all over underneath.  A great, cheap, alternative to my number 10 in this list.  £4.99

Urban Decay Revolution lipstick in Venom
 I absolutely love the formulation of Urban Decay's Revolution lipsticks (post on them coming soon!) It's opaque and creamy, very comfortable to wear.  Venom is described as a 'bright plum' and I would say that's about right, a perfect mix of purple and pink.  UD sell a lip liner to match which I don't own (yet) but I like it with MAC Cranberry liner.  It can last up to 6 hours on me. £15

OCC Lip Tar in Black Dahlia
 This and the next shade are two OCC Lip Tar favourites.  Black Dahlia is a dark pinky red, although not a dark as it looks in the tube.  It isn't as opaque and creamy as some of their other matte colours and really benefits from a clear liner to prevent the colour bleeding.  This used to be a special nights out colour for me but now I love it for every day.  £12

OCC Lip Tar in Black Metal Dahlia
 Black Metal Dahlia is the metallic counterpart to the previous colour. I think it's a bit warmer in base colour, more burgundy, and also contains red shimmer.  It last really well and leaves a stain.  £12

Illamasqua Glamore Lipstick in Vampette
 Vampette is one of Illamasqua's new Glamore lipsticks, which are more creamy than their matte formula.  It's a satin so not as long-lasting but a lip liner can fix that.  This is a blackened red that I really like to pair with a no-makeup-makeup kind of eye or just liner. £18.50

MAC Cyber
 Cyber is a Satin finish from MAC.  It's a blackened purple, very similar in colour to Mulberry.  It has a thicker consistency though so lasts longer.  It's perfect with Nightmoth liner and, while I love it alone, also looks good with a purple gloss like Funtabulous.  £15.50

What are your favourite lip colours for Autumn/Fall?  Do you like the look of any of these?

Rachel


No comments:

Post a Comment