Thursday 5 June 2014

Shopping My Stash

May was a spending ban month for me. Ugh, torture, especially when certain websites have big sales on things I want (yes, I'm looking at you love-makeup.co.uk and feelunique.com) and Boots have their 3 for 2 offer on.  Despite that, I managed to stick to the ban and bought no make up. 
One of the ways I survive a ban month (I also did it this February) is to shop my stash.  This is when you go through all of your drawers to see what you've forgotten about and not used for ages. I thought I'd show you what I endeavoured to use throughout May.


Bobbi Brown Creamy Concealer in Porcelain and Corrector in Light Bisque
(Sorry about the mess)
The only base products I picked out for May were my concealer and corrector from Bobbi Brown.  Ever since I got my Nars Creamy Concealer a few months ago, all others have been forgotten about but it was time to return to older loves.  While these Bobbi Brown products do crease on me they are easy to smooth out again and don't make the skin under my eyes look dry like some things do.  While I enjoyed using them in May I confess I'm back on the Nars wagon.

Illamasqua Reflection Palette

The first thing I pulled out of my drawers for my eyes was this Illamasqua Reflection Palette.  The shadows aren't powder or cream but have a siliconey, bouncy texture.  I need to wear them over a good base or they crease on me quite quickly.  They also take some effort to build up to an intensity I like but are really beautiful on.  I wore it quite a lot throughout the month, often in combination with some of the next few products.

Too Faced A Few of my Favourite Things
Even though I only got this Too Faced palette at the end of 2013 it had already been laid aside without an awful lot of use (a lot of good palettes came out around the same time, ouch). Similarly to Urban Decay's Vice palettes, this palette has a lovely mix of neutrals and jewel tones.  My favourites are Ooh la OrchidBluff and Honey Honey.  There are also two bronzers and two blushes in the palette but I tend not to reach for those (although the Chocolate Soleil bronzer does ensure that the whole thing smells amazing).

Clockwise (ish) from left: Stila Brow Set in Dark, Urban Decay Stardust shadow in Bobby Dazzle, Sugarpill pigment in Junebug, Korres eyeliner pencil in Light Blue, Urban Decay 24/7 Shadow Pencil in Sin, Smashbox waterproof Shadow Liner in Black Gold and Jemma Kidd eye colour in Editor.
I'm all about the eyes so gave myself plenty of choice for the month.  I strayed from my beloved Illamasqua Brow Cake in Thunder and used Stila's Brow Set in Dark, doing subtle gradient brows with it.  The other items I used the most were the 24/7 Shadow Pencil in Sin, which is the perfect base for a neutral look.  It doesn't crease on me at all and is really easy to blend out.  Jemma Kidd eye colour in Editor (a TK Maxx find) is a really good mid taupe shade that I used to blend all month. 

Nars highlighter in Miss Liberty and Revlon Photoready cream blush in Coral Reef
My cheek picks for May were a favourite highlighter of mine, Nars Miss Liverty, and Revlon cream blush in Coral Reef.  The highlighter is a fairly cool-toned peach with some micro glitter but I don't think it's too much.  It's really pretty but doesn't have the best staying-power.  The blush is quite scary in the pan but is far more subtle worn, I like to apply it with the Real Techniques Stippling Brush.

Maybelline SuperStay Tint Gloss in Forever Coral, Urban Decay Lip Junkie Gloss in Midnight Cowboy and OCC Lip Tar in Black Metal Dahlia
While in May my lips were mainly wearing the new Illamasqua matte lip liquids, I did force myself to use some other things.  The Maybelline Tint Glosses are great but I never see them mentioned on blogs or videos.  They stain really well, are fairly moisturising and smell amazing.  I have three colours but in May I stuck to Forever Coral.  I like to layer it with a similar or contrasting gloss.  I also used Urban Decay's Lip Junkie gloss in Midnight Cowboy, which I think came as part of their bridal set.  I like the mintyness and I just love glittery things. It pretty much goes with anything too.  The last item in my lip trio is OCC Lip Tar in Black Metal Dahlia which is a.m.a.z.i.n.g.  I wish it was work friendly but I had to stick to rocking it at weekends.  Metallic blackened red and very long lasting, need I say more?

Shopping my stash proved very successful last month so I've decided to continue it for June, with different products.  Although the spending ban is over I'm still not spending as I'm going to IMATS at the end of June so any spare money will go on that instead.

Do you ever shop your stash?  Have you rediscovered any old favourites?

Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment