Tuesday 3 February 2015

Debu(t)ary: Benefit Roller Lash mascara


Benefit Roller Lash mascara
As lots of you may already know, if you buy Elle magazine this month you get a miniature version of Benefit's Roller Lash mascara, which isn't available to buy yet.  It claims to be a super curling and lifting mascara with 94% of their testers (all 31 of them lol) claiming it made their eyes look more open.  

As I've said before, I'm not the best person to test a mascara as I have long, thick, fairly curled eye lashes but I thought I'd give it a go and give me honest opinion.

Read on for my verdict and photos with/without it.



Benefit Roller Lash mascara
My first thought is, oh no, a plastic spiky wand.  I always manage to stick these in my eye some how and I generally prefer the more fluttery look from a natural bristled wand.

Benefit say that they based the wand design on old-school velcro rollers with a unique hooked wand. I must admit it doesn't look revolutionarily different to other wands I've seen.
Benefit Roller Lash mascara wand
First off, a photo of my eye sans mascara (and any other makeup, eek) so that you can see how curled my lashes are naturally.



This is with one coat of Roller Lash, having not curled my lashes previously.  It has visibly curled my lashes a bit, making them appear longer.  It's nice and dark black but already my lashes are sticking together more than I would like.

Benefit Roller Lash mascara
Here I have no mascara on but I have used my Shy Uemura lash curler.  The curler works better than the mascara at curling, who would have thought!?


In this photo I have 2-3 layers of Roller Lash on and my lashes have started to clump. For some people that is the desired effect, but not for me.

Benefit Roller Lash mascara 2-3 coats

While Roller Lash does do what it says on the tin, I would not buy this mascara when it is released in stores on February 27th.  I think it would be a great mascara for anyone who doesn't like using an eyelash curler and has quite straight lashes.  For me it's just not worth it; my curler and a different mascara would provide a preferable result.

If you like the look of this mascara, I highly recommend you grab yourself a copy of Elle magazine for £4 so that you can trial it for yourselves.  The full-size will retail for £19.50.

For those interested to know what mascaras I do love, there is a post coming in March, after Debu(t)ary, on my top 5 mascaras.

Rachel


Find me here: 

No comments:

Post a Comment