Friday 27 February 2015

Debu(t)ary: Makeup Geek Foiled Eyeshadows

Makeup Geek Foiled Eyeshadows
L-R Mesmerized, Showtime, Flame Thrower, Grandstand, In The Spotlight
I know, I know, more eyeshadows!  I just love eyeshadows and making palettes.  I bought all of the Makeup Geek Foiled Eyeshadows as soon as I was able to.  As the name would suggest, they are really metallic and look like they've been foiled (used wet) even when dry.  They feel really creamy and look their best when applied with your fingers.  They blend with brushes just fine but if you want them at their most opaque and shiny then it's fingers all the way.

Makeup Geek, Marlene, has a great video here where she swatches each colour and describes them much better than I could.  A few of the brighter ones have a bit of a duochrome-ness to them.  Caitlin Rose, the purple, is a bit sheerer than the other colours but still really beautiful. 

 I've just swatched them in the order I have them arranged in the palette, warm/cool or neutral/colourful.

Makeup Geek Foiled Eyeshadows
L-R Magic Act, Jester, Houdini, Center Stage, Caitlin Rose

Here as a few ways I've used the Makeup Geek Foiled shadows so far.
This first one is a bit of mess, like a bit old bruise, but it shows how shiny the shadows are.  Jester is the colour all over the lid here, with some Caitlin Rose layered over darker colours in the crease.
Makeup Geek Foiled Eyeshadows

Here I used Center Stage and Caitlin Rose all over, along with regular formula Makeup Geek shadows Peach Smoothie, Chickadee, Drama Queen, Rockstar and Duchess.
Makeup Geek Foiled Eyeshadows
Here In The Spotlight is the main shadow, used all over the lid and inner corner.
Makeup Geek Foiled Eyeshadows
I've seen discussion online about whether they are similar to the NARS Dual Intensity shadows (see my review here and looks here).  They are both metallic, yes, especially when the NARS ones are used wet, however the Makeup Geek ones are far more intense and definitely smoother, the NARS ones don't feel creamy.  Also, with the NARS ones you can use them dry to have them slightly less shimmery, where as there is only full-on metallicness with these ones.  Versatility versus packing a punch.  They're both great and apply very differently.

I store my Foiled Shadows in a large Z Palette along with other Makeup Geek shadows.  In fact I have 2 of these Makeup Geek palettes; one just for neutrals and then one for the Foiled and colourful shadows.
Makeup Geek Foiled Eyeshadows in a Z Palette
You can purchase the Makeup Geek shadows here on Marlene's website.  They are $9.99 (£6.47) each and you get 1.8g of product (compared to MAC's 1.5g for £10).  Marlene has said that there will be new shades launching in the coming months, so keep your eyes peeled.

Have you tried these yet or do you want to?  Are you drawn to the neutrals or the colourful?

I know there are lots of people who wouldn't dare wear shimmer so I'll have something matte coming soon!

Rachel

Find me here: 

No comments:

Post a Comment